top of page

“We will see Deri back following some fancy and patently immoral political maneuvers by his current

Not my words but those of David M. Weinberg writing recently in Israel Hayom. https://www.israelhayom.com/opinions/deri-step-down-for-good/

So why start this rant with the above words? Simple, I have (for now) become so disillusioned with what is happening in Israel with Netanyahu and his band of right-wing ultra-nationalists, the Haredim, and of course (I’ll do a deal with anyone) Deri.

I try to tell myself ‘to stay positive’. ‘It’s an adventure, enjoy every moment’.

In reality, I want to duplicate the ostrich and bury my head in the sand, hoping that the storm blows over soon. (I don’t believe it will and that the face of Israel will be changed forever.)

And so, I cry for you, my beautiful country.

I am proud of my center-right conservative outlook.

I am equally proud of being called a liberal hawk.

And I am proud of being labeled inconsistent, inconsequential, and irrelevant.

I encompass a rainbow of views, feelings, dreams, and aspirations for Israel.

It is no secret that I rage with disappointment that those we elect to govern us. Of course, no one is to blame but us.

It’s important to note how Netanyahu speaks with a ‘forked tongue’. What he says in English is often far removed from a response to the same question in Hebrew.

I understand that he wishes to put a positive spin on his intentions when addressing the foreign press. But the fact is that once again he uses clever words to explain his apparent about-face between English and Hebrew responses.

What we have heard in recent weeks from Smotrich, Ben Gvir and the Haridim relates to 75% of Israel’s population. What about the other 25%? Are they second-class citizens?

We need to take back our country. We need to remind Deri, Goldknopf, Gafni, Smotrich, Ben Gvir, Moaz, and the others of their ilk that while we respect their traditions, they do not respect ours. Simply put, it’s a one-way street. They alone seem to feel that they are right!

I shrieked with indignation when I read that Gafni and his loutish, uncultured gang put forward a bill to not only legalize but require hametz bans in hospitals. “UTJ submits bill to ban hametz from hospitals during Passover.” “Progressive religious voices denounce proposal, say it will have a ‘boomerang effect’ and drive people away from Judaism” https://www.timesofisrael.com/utj-submits-bill-to-ban-hametz-from-hospitals-during-passover/

The country, thank goodness is still (for now) a secular democratic state, although for how much longer I don’t know.

The Israel you know just ended. You can blame that on Netanyahu.

Comments


bottom of page